This easy shortcake recipe is adapted from John Martin Taylor’s recipe in his book, The New Southern Cook. I love his commentary and only made a few adjustments. I like to bake the entire recipe and then reheat leftover shortcakes in a hot oven for serving on day two.
Makes 8 to 12 servings
Prep: 25 to 30 minutes
Bake: 12 to 15 minutes
6 cups ripe fresh strawberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar, or more to taste
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus flour for dusting the countertop
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, a little soft
1 large egg
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups whipped cream, sweetened with 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. An hour before you are serving this dessert, hull the berries and slice all but 8, and save those for garnish, if desired. Toss the halved berries with 1/3 cup sugar and set aside at room temperature.
2. Place a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
3. Place the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well. Cut the butter into tablespoons and distribute over the top of the dry ingredients. With two sharp paring knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like peas and is uniform in size. Crack the egg into a measuring cup full of the cream and stir with a fork to break up the yolk. Pour this into the dough mixture and stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula until the liquid is just combined.
4. Scatter flour on a work surface, and turn the dough out onto the flour and with floured hands, pat it to a generous 1-inch thick. Flour round 2- to 3-inch cutters and cut the dough into 8 to 12 rounds. Place these on a baking sheet, and place the pan in the oven.
5. Bake the shortcakes until they are golden brown around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and let the shortcakes cool a few minutes, then split open with a fork and butter lightly, if desired.
6. To serve, place the bottom half of the shortcake into a serving bowl. Spoon sweetened berries and juice on top, then place the top half over the berries, and spoon more berries and juice on top. To serve, spoon whipped cream over the berries and garnish with one fresh strawberry, if desired. Repeat with the remaining shortcakes. Drizzle any remaining juice in the bowl over the shortcakes before serving.